2011 NU Soccer Team

2011 NU Soccer Team
Chillin out at the WaVe!!

Monday, October 3, 2011

Reflection #2- "Converting Classics Into Comics"

I read an interesting article today on the Huffpost.com website about turning classic novels into comic books.  It seems as though we are getting closer and closer to doing away with the printed word.  What effect will this have on your teaching I wonder.  Now that the entire wealth of information will be available in the palm of your hand how will this adjust your teaching.  Does this help solve or only further our budget problems?  Do you think this is a good thing, or bad thing?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tim-chen/converting-classics-into-_b_988121.html?ir=Technology

5 comments:

  1. Kyle, this is an interesting question that I struggle with myself sometimes. I have an ereader and love using it for books and textbooks and other media as well. However, I still enjoy having a paper copy of books whichis an experience that cannot be matched by the e-forms. That being said I think that the switch to digital media is a good thing and a bad thing. Good because we have access to information in all different ways and from different areas spreading ideas faster. Bad becasue I feel that we are slowly losing a connection to the actual written word. As for budgets in the schools. I think the switch to digital could actually help. Most students have a computer at home or access to one at a public library. Having the school with an account for ebooks or databases (like NU does with JSTOR and EBSCO) students could access them from home and the schools wouldn't have to purchase more than a few digital copies. Teachers could access them from the computers in their classrooms and place on the screens or on a document camera etc. I think this could be a great tool to integrate technology into our classrooms without too much difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Chelsea's "good-thing-bad-thing" opinion. I can see the use of e-books cutting costs in that digital copies of texts are often less expensive than paper copies. However, technology fails. What happens when the student takes an e-book home and the battery dies or the e-book itself malfunctions? Ultimately, I feel like this issue could go either way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that turning a classic novel in to a comic book is an awful thing to do. Turning classic books like Pride and Prejudice and Wind in the Willows will distort the real meaning behind these books. In my high school, the teachers had "comic books" for a few of the Shakespeare plays and we had to color them and turn them in for a grade. This took away from the actual play because it became a joke, of who could make it look the funniest. For me classic books and comic books will never be the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see both sides to making the classics into comics, but lean towards keeping the "old" ways. I know that my husband would not read Pride and Prejudice, but he may read a comic of the same thing. Personally, I think that technology getting to this level is absurd. Our children are losing their ability to be disconnected and truly value the importance of peace and quiet. In addition, I worry about everybody's eyesight - all this constant looking at screens has got to be bad on our eyes. ~JoDee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally do not like the idea of turning classics into comic books. I went to half-price books the other day and my friend suggested that I read "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies". Upon opening the book I realized that it was a comic book. I personally believe comic books are great in someways but not for school. They take away feel of the original work and can turn them into a joke. I feel as if there is a time for comic books but that should be only after the student digs deep into the original classic.

    ReplyDelete