Marc Prensky article was an interesting read. His thoughts on revolutionizing the educational system is very unique and bold. Prensky says that "today's students are no longer the people our educational system was designed to teach" and this is true. I recall my years in school and learning to type with the program paws. It was a dull, painful "game" to learn how to type that was only moderately successful. It wasn't until I started using instant messaging services that my typing really started to improve. That is because to communicate effectively you have to be able to type, and fast. It helped that I had learned some basic knowledge of typing but I was only really tested when I had to compete with my peers.
Also, I really liked Prensky's idea that students should only be able to use a computer in school if the build it themselves. This might not be fully applicable but is a very interesting idea. He also raises good questions about calculators. How do you use them in teaching math and what kinds of math are taught. Prensky offers several times, in his future learning, that more advanced topics should be taught.
-Tatro
No comments:
Post a Comment